MARCH 12, 2014
Call to order
The meeting was called to order at 8:05am by President, Samantha Fiscus. The previous minutes were approved as written.
Principal – Mr. Pascoe
- 3rd grade students who score in the Unsatisfactory range on the Reading section of the OCCT tests can be held back. The student would advance to 4th grade, but be held back in 3rd grade for reading only. They will later be tested and if their scores qualify, they would move on to 4th grade entirely. Students who are held back due to the Reading Sufficiency Act must enroll in the Summer Academy Reading Program. Parents may opt out, but the parent must provide a tutor or other reading assistance program in its place. The summer reading program is taught by TPS teachers with extra training in reading instruction. At the end of the course, the students take the Iowa Test. If they pass this test, then they are promoted to 4th grade. The OCCT tests are not timed; students have as much time as they need to complete the test. The tests are spread throughout a two week period (between 4/15 – 4/23) with a couple of days in between each test day. There is only one test a day. The tests are during the morning. No one other than students and teachers are allowed in the building during testing. Lunches do not start until testing for the day is over. The younger students aren't allowed to have their morning recess outside on test days. They try to keep the building as quiet as possible during testing. We should have the test results by May 2nd. The state mandates RSA, not TPS. TPS selects the tests they feel is best suitable for the district. Remember March 31st is the “Day at the Capital”. It is important to attend this if you are able to.
President - Samantha Fiscus
- Mandi Dixon made the motion and Brandi Thomas seconded the motion to approve the 2014 Nominating Committee members: Shelie Chavez, Friday Pappas, Susan Lamkin, Ara Hickey and Carolyn Davis. The motion was approved and passed unanimously.
- The PTA paid for a new copier which is in the workroom in the 2nd grade hall. All the grades except for 5th grade use the copier.
- There is a new crosswalk in the west parking lot. Please remember not to stop in the crosswalk and to stop for pedestrians using the crosswalk. The curb has been painted yellow to clearly mark the bus parking in the Circle Drive and on 56th Street.
- Our day to volunteer at the Designer Showcase is Wednesday, May 14th from 9:30 to 1:00. We would like to have at least 10 people volunteer. If we have 20 volunteers, we can split the day into 2 shifts. The Showcase home is at 7228 S. Evanston Ave. All the proceeds from the Designer Showcase benefit the Foundation for Tulsa Schools.
- To make up for snow days, TPS has decided to cancel the early release day in April and to add 12 minutes to the school day everyday in April. School will be released at 3:02.
Treasurer's Report – Heidi Serage
- We have earned $794.44 cash and $500 in gift cards for the teachers from the School Mall Program.
Jog-a-thon Report – Erin Kistler
- Jog-a-thon is tomorrow. There are still about 100 students without signed waivers. Students without signed waivers will be asked to wait in the library. We still need a lot of volunteers.
- Jinger Mahan will be the new Auction Chair! She has already started planning the committees. Please get in touch with her if you would like to help out with the auction.
- The deadline for yearbook photos is the Friday. Please submit the photos to Ashley Ohman or Lynette Hudson.
- Pizza Bingo is April 11th! Meghan Sutton is co-chairing with Mandi Dixon. They are meeting at the Elks Lodge tonight at 6:30.
The next meeting will be Wednesday, April 2nd @ 8:00am in the cafeteria.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:52am.